Translate a marriage document from Russian to English

Więcej
5 lata 2 tygodni temu #36190 przez Kathryn Thomas
Replied by Kathryn Thomas on topic Translate a marriage document from Russian to English
tRafal:
Thank you, once more, for your help.  I apologize that I am not more timely in my thanks.  I have been involved in a project that required my attention.  
I have followed your advice regarding the birth place of Franciszka in Chorzele without any results, but I am continuing to look.  I am pursuing the marriage location of Michal and Franciszka - also the marriage location of Adam and Helena (there may be a clue here as Michal and Adam seem to be very close.  
I think I may have found the death record of Michal's grandfather, Jan Kolk, in Mchowo but my Polish translation of this document is very confusing.  Could you take a look for me?  The witnesses do not appear to be related - although, they are "self-sustaining farmers".  Hopefully, this can lead me another step back to find the birthplace of Jan.  His wife's name is Katarzyna Pajączkowska.  Jan was older when his children were born.  I will send these birth records separately. 
I spent the day with my parents for my father's 89th birthday.  I found many more pictures of the "Sugar Palace", thanks to your hint, and showed them to my mother.  She was very, very interested and thankful to you for the lead.  She continues to pray for you and your family.
I have developed a workshop for people to help them find their family roots in Poland.  I have found out so much information I feel I must share it with others to make their journeys a little easier.  You are mentioned in my talk as my hero!  I will be giving my first talk on Saturday at our local "Dom Polska" where I am a member.  I am looking forward to this!
Thank you again for all of your help.
Kasia
Załączniki:

Please Zaloguj or Zarejestruj się to join the conversation.

Więcej
5 lata 2 tygodni temu #36191 przez Kathryn Thomas
Replied by Kathryn Thomas on topic Translate a marriage document from Russian to English
Rafal:
Here are the records of Jan and Katarzyna's children.
Jakob - birth 1809; death 1814
Maryanna - birth 1811
Anna (1) - death 1814
Anna (2) - birth 1816
Franciszka - birth 1827

Interestingly, the year 1823 is not available - that is when Maciej Kolk was born!  

Maybe you can find some information in these records for me.  Thank you again.
Załączniki:

Więcej
5 lata 2 tygodni temu #36192 przez Rafał Molencki
Replied by Rafał Molencki on topic Translate a marriage document from Russian to English
Parish Węgra - the two witnesses, self-sustaining farmers, announce the death of Jan Kolka, aged 60, living at "podkomorne", meaning he was renting his lodgings and/or sharing it with somebody else, at 10 am 9 Feb 1829. He left widow Katarzyna Gersówna [her spelt Gersuwna], i.e. the daughter of Mr. Gers. If you have the other name Pajączkowska, it may mean that Jan was her second husband or the Gers family had had a double surname/nickname or he had had two different wives named Katarzyna.

Many happy returns to your Father!

Więcej
5 lata 2 tygodni temu - 5 lata 2 tygodni temu #36193 przez Rafał Molencki
Replied by Rafał Molencki on topic Translate a marriage document from Russian to English
A bit of a mess in the records concerning the names, addresses and ages:

In Jakub's birth record you've got the info that he was born in house 27 at 4pm July 3, 1809. His father Jan Kolka, aged 50, is described as "pasterz", meaning "shepherd, cowherd, swineherd, etc.", the Polish word does not specify what animal the -herd looks after. His mother is Katarzyna Pajączkówna, 24, i.e. her father's surname may have been Pająk or Pajączek (meaning spider). The boy's death record says that he died 10am Nov 27, 1814 in house 12. His father is still 50, still -herd, mother as above.

The birth record of July 26, 1811 is about Marianna, daughter of Jan Kostka, 50 and Katarzyna Rączkówna (Rączka), 22 from house 26. Still I think she was Jakub's sister, the priest or the organist got the names wrong.

Anna, June 3, 1814 - house 10, father Jan (this time) Kork, laborer, still 50, and Katarzyna Pajączkówna, 30. The girl died Nov 10, 1814, in house 12, father is now Jan Kolka.

The other Anna was born in house 2 at 11pm Oct 2, 1816. Father Jan Kolk, -herd, 50, mother KP, 30.

You haven't attached Franciszka.
Ostatnia5 lata 2 tygodni temu edycja: Rafał Molencki od.

Więcej
5 lata 2 tygodni temu #36194 przez Kathryn Thomas
Thank you for your help...I thought the confusion was my rudimentary translation abilities.  I have attached both the birth and the death record of Franciszka.

Is it the norm for the age of the parents (in this case, Jan) to be generalized by decade?  I think I remember reading somewhere that this occurred due to the inexactness of the actual birth date.  

I'm trying to put this family together in my head to figure out where Jan and Katarzyna were married and, possibly, where they were born.  I appreciate your help on this one.  

I have been trying to read all that I can on the background history of Poland, especially the Russian partition, to better understand the movements of our ancestors in their historical context.  What I have found with my Kolk family is they may have originated in Masuria and migrated south into Masovia sometime after the first partition.  I understand the plight of the people in the Prussian partition, especially in East Prussia.  Grandfather Maciej then moved back to Masuria, possibly to marry, and returned to Masovia (Krasiniec).  I have begun to call the highway #57, the Kolk road because they seem to move up and down that highway.  :)  

Now, if I could track down the wanderings "off the road", maybe I will find the home villages of my grandmothers!
They seem to wander around like the Roma...My babcia, Agniezka Mamak-Osypiewska, (her family home for over seven generations was Zalesie, Młyńczyska and Stara Wieś, Limanowa, Malopolska) used to say to me, "Kasia, please be careful.  You have a wandering nature and I don't want you to wander off with the gypsies!"  Little did she know, her son married the daughter of a bunch of wanderers!  :) :)

All my best and in thanks,
Kasia
Załączniki:

Więcej
5 lata 2 tygodni temu - 5 lata 2 tygodni temu #36197 przez Rafał Molencki
Interestingly, here in 1827 we have father Jan Kolka, the cowherd/shepherd from Mchowo, still aged 50! Franciszka was born at 11am on June 21, 1827 of his wife here called Marianna Pajączkówna. Again  the organist got the mother's name wrong. They did not care much about the exactness of the records. As for the age, it was often more than approximate - ten, even twenty years less or more was a common practise, especially in death records. In those days people didn't often realize how old they were themselves, let alone the witnesses, usually next-door neighbors,  who brought the news to the priest.
In Franciszka's death record of 7pm March 5, 1828 Jan Kolka, pasterz dworski, i.e. the manor shep/cow-herd,  is 60 years old and his wife is now correctly described as Katarzyna Pajączkówna, aged 40.

Good luck with your search along Highway 57!
Ostatnia5 lata 2 tygodni temu edycja: Rafał Molencki od.

Czas generowania strony: 0,000 s.
Zasilane przez Forum Kunena

Logowanie