Andrzej Famulski Marriage Record #10 - 1897

Więcej
4 lata 4 tygodni temu #38933 przez Lucy Humphries
Andrzej Famulski Marriage Record #10 - 1897 was created by Lucy Humphries
Please translate the attached marriage record #10 into English.

Thank you,
Lucy
Załączniki:

Please Zaloguj or Zarejestruj się to join the conversation.

Więcej
4 lata 4 tygodni temu - 4 lata 4 tygodni temu #38943 przez Rafał Molencki
Replied by Rafał Molencki on topic Andrzej Famulski Marriage Record #10 - 1897
11am Jan (14)/26 1897  marriage:
AF, 26, bachelor,  born and working as a day laborer (so didn't have his own land), son of late Roch F and M nee D
+ AP, 22, born and living at Raduczyce, daughter of Tomasz P. and Wiktoria nee [here] Łyczek (more probable is the version Łuczak in her birth record); witnesses Błażej Sobanek and Antoni Kukuła

I hope I've translated everything for today, but I'm not sure as you have flooded me with all those records :-) An hour ago we started a new month, so I'd better turn in now.
Ostatnia4 lata 4 tygodni temu edycja: Rafał Molencki od.

Więcej
4 lata 4 tygodni temu #38944 przez Lucy Humphries
Replied by Lucy Humphries on topic Andrzej Famulski Marriage Record #10 - 1897
Sorry for keeping you up so late.  The Luczak / Lyczek name is going to be a problem.  I also found Lyko.

Thanks again for your help,
Lucy

Więcej
4 lata 3 tygodni temu - 4 lata 3 tygodni temu #38946 przez Rafał Molencki
Replied by Rafał Molencki on topic Andrzej Famulski Marriage Record #10 - 1897
Lucy, no problem at all. Łyko, Łyczko, Łyczek, Łyczka,Łyczyna, Łykowa, Łyczanka, Łykówna, Łyczkówna, etc. are all variants of the same name. And Łuczak in one of the later records was the priest’s error. Unlike English and like most Slavic languages, Polish has rich inflections and very creative word formation. One of the characteristics is the formation of diminutives by means of special endings: -ek for masculine nouns, -ka for feminine and –ko for neuter, often accompanied by consonantal alternations, e.g. dom ‘house’ – domek ‘small house’, noga ‘leg’ – nóżka ‘small leg’, oko ‘eye’ – ‘oczko’ ‘little eye’, etc. The ending can sometimes be doubled: kot ‘cat’ – kotek ‘kitten’ – koteczek ‘small kitten’.
In older Polish this also referred to surnames/nicknames. If Jan Nowak had a son, the boy could be baptized as e.g. Adam Nowaczek or Nowaczyk 'little Nowak'. When the boy grew old, the diminutive variant either remained or was replaced with the original form, so he could be both Adam Nowak and Adam Nowaczek. Very often brothers had different names and it also varied in further generations without any consistency whatsoever. One of my maternal 3rd great grandfathers was Andrzej Kozieł, his son was Franciszek Koźlak but my great grandmother was baptized as Ludwika Kozieł. And as I wrote yesterday, sometimes the ending -ski was added: one of Ludwika's brothers was baptized as Kozłowski... Thus Łyczek was the perfectly regular diminutive of Łyko.
With women’s surnames it was even more complicated.Depending on the final syllable of the husband’s surname, wives took endings –owa,-ina, -yna and colloquially also –ka, again often accompanied by consonantal changes,  so Mrs. Nowak  could be Nowakowa, Nowaczyna, Nowaczka, Mrs.Noga – Nogowa or Nożyna, Mrs. Mucha – Muchowa, Muszka, Muszyna, etc. Daughters took endings –ówna, -anka, -onka, so Miss Nowak was Nowakówna or Nowaczanka, Miss Noga – Nożanka or Nodzanka, etc. This system, however, gradually disappeared from usage in the 20th century and nowadays it can only be found in some rural
areas and, interestingly, among some artistic and scholarly circles – some actresses and university professors still use the feminine form of their surnames ending in –owa, -ówna, -anka, though in their documents the basic masculine form is now obligatorily used. The only exception are surnames ending in –ski, -cki, where -i has to be replaced with –a, so Anna Kowalska is the only acceptable form in both official and colloquial usage. Anna Kowalski would only be possible for women born or married abroad, who were registered as such in foreign documents.
Ostatnia4 lata 3 tygodni temu edycja: Rafał Molencki od.

Więcej
4 lata 3 tygodni temu #38951 przez Lucy Humphries
Replied by Lucy Humphries on topic Andrzej Famulski Marriage Record #10 - 1897
Thank you for the explanation of why my great grandmother has so many different names.  At least I now know I am on the right track.  Thank you for your time.  It is very much appreciated.

Lucy 

Czas generowania strony: 0,000 s.
Zasilane przez Forum Kunena

Logowanie