Topic-icon Maciej Politanski Baptism Record #15 - 1827

10 miesiąc 5 dni temu #40002 przez Lucy Humphries
Please translate the attached baptismal record into English.

Kind regards,
Lucy

metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=3&z...zoom=1&x=1125&y=1050

Proszę Zaloguj , aby dołączyć do konwersacji.

10 miesiąc 4 dni temu #40023 przez Rafał Molencki
Kodrąb parish 2/19/1826 Mateusz Politański, 40, shepherd of Lipowczyce reports the birth 6am on the 18th of  a baby boy christened Maciej and born of his wife Katarzyna b. Malinowska, 21. Godparents: Idzi Fabiańczyk & Marianna Golówna

10 miesiąc 4 dni temu #40027 przez Lucy Humphries
 Well I thought I had it all figured out.  I thought that the Mateuse Matecki that married Kataryna Malinowska Record #7  in 1822, Parish of Siemkowice (translated by Michal),  may be the same person as Mateuse Politanski that fathered Maciej in the Parish of Kodrab..  I traced Tekla from her marriage record #4 (which you translated for me) to the village of Chorzew, Parish of Siemkowice.  The only Tekla born in or around 1824 was Tekla Matecki, (mothers name matches).  On Maciej's baptismal record Mateuse Politanski is said to be 40.  Two years later on his son's Piotr's baptismal record Mateuse Politanski is 32 which makes more sense.  Mateuse Matecki is a shepherd on his marriage record.  Mateuse Politanski is a shepherd on Marcij's and Piotr's  baptismal records.

I thought with the huge age difference for Mateuse on Maciej's baptismal record it couldn't be the same father, however all the other birth records of Mateuse's children other than Maciej's birth record make sense.  The mother's name, Kataryna Malinowska match on all the records.  I checked for death records in both the Parish of Siemkowice and Kodrab for Matecki, as well as a marriage record in both parishes for Politanski.  But there were none.

What do you think Rafal?  Could this be the same Mateuse?  He had just changed his last name.  Your thoughts and expertise would be appreciated.  Oh and thank you for the translation after all that. :)

Lucy

10 miesiąc 3 dni temu - 10 miesiąc 3 dni temu #40050 przez Rafał Molencki
You must realize that the records in those days were not terribly reliable, especially concerning age - discrepancies of ten, sometimes even umpteen years did occur. A local priest and/or an organist often wrote the fair copy of a record months after the event from a rough draft. They asked witnesses: How old is Mateusz? And the witnesses responded: I don't know, 32 or 38,  and finally "30" or "40" was written down. Also peasants' surnames varied - people could have two parallel surnames and/or nicknames. Quite often people used the names of their stepfathers and in my family records women sometimes have maiden names of their mothers rather than their own.
In other words, it's very likely that it is the same Mateusz and he could have had two different surnames. On top of that first names Mateusz (Matthew) and Maciej (Mathias) were often mixed up.

10 miesiąc 3 dni temu #40051 przez Lucy Humphries
Thank you for your comments Rafal.  I appreciate your thoughts.  So far there are about 4 relatives that seem to have changed their last names when they move from one parish to another.

Take care,
Lucy

Czas generowania strony: 0,000 s.