Topic-icon Grandfather and Grandmothers Baptism Records

2 tygodni 6 dni temu #37068 przez Barrie705 (Lucy Humphries)
Please translate the attached baptism records from Russian to English.

Thank you,
Lucy
Załączniki:

Proszę Zaloguj lub Zarejestruj się, aby dołączyć do konwersacji.

2 tygodni 5 dni temu - 2 tygodni 5 dni temu #37069 przez Molencki (Rafał Molencki)
All these records follow the same template: "It happened WHERE, WHEN". Father, his age, job appeared in the presence of two witnesses, their age and jobs [if father is unknown or absent, it will be a midwife], and showed to us a baby born of mother, her age, date, hour. At baptism (performed by PRIEST'S NAME),  the baby was given NAME(s).  The godparents were NAMES.  The act was read out loud to everyone and signed [by those who knew how to do it, until late 19th c. usually the priest only]. We have double dating, as in the parts of Poland occupied by Russia the official calendar was Julian, while the Catholic church followed the Gregorian calendar - at the time there was a 13-day difference.

Record One:
Osjaków  20 May/1 June 1899. Andrzej Famulski, 27, farmer from Raduczyce + witnesses Antoni Krzesiński and Marcin Nawrocki, both 35, farmers from Raduczyce, showed to us a baby boy saying that he was born at Raduczyce today at 2pm [highly unlikely: the boy can't have been born in one village and baptised by the priest at church in another village simultaneously] of his lawful wife Antonina born Podgórniak, 24. At baptism he was given name Antoni. Godparents: Wojciech Famulski and Agnieszka Nowicka

Record Two:
Mierzyce, 11/24 Apr 1905 1am. Stanisław Surma, 40, labourer from Krzeczów + witnesses Bogumił Góra, 60 and Sebastian Wróbel, 43, peasants from Krzeczów, showed to us a baby girl saying that she was born at Krzeczów at noon 4/17 Apr of his lawful wife Marianna born Świat, 30. Godparents: Franciszek Kurszawa and Jadwiga Góra.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Barrie705 (Lucy Humphries)

2 tygodni 5 dni temu #37073 przez Barrie705 (Lucy Humphries)
Thank you for the translation Rafal.  You answered a lot of questions whether I even had the right grandfather and mother.s birth information.  

2 tygodni 5 dni temu - 2 tygodni 5 dni temu #37074 przez Molencki (Rafał Molencki)
I forgot to translate that the girl was christened Stanisława, but you knew that anyway.

Using the data from the record, one can easily go a couple of generations back. Here you have the birth record of your great grandpa Andrzej Famulski:

www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY...363719201&cc=2115410

born at Raduczyce on  Nov 12, 1871. Father Roch Famulski, peasant, aged 30, mother Marianna Domagała, also 30.

Roch and Marianna got married on Jan 12, 1862:

www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT...363757901&cc=2115410

Roch was probably the illegitimate son of Urszula Famulak and was born 1841 at Raduszyce. Marianna, aged 25, came from Nowa Wieś and was the daughter of late Piotr and still living Franciszka Lebioda. Below is Roch's birth record:

www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT...363718001&cc=2115410

His birth of Urszula Famulanka, aged 21, on July 20, 1841 is announced by the midwife.

2 tygodni 5 dni temu #37077 przez Barrie705 (Lucy Humphries)
Thank you some much for the additional information.  I wasn't sure if Roch Famulski did have a father mentioned on the record.  My Polish isn't very good to start with and the writing is hard to read.  I have hit a dead end with my grandmother.  I don't know if her parents came from a different diocese.  

Thanks again for taking the time to write back Rafal.
Lucy

2 tygodni 5 dni temu #37078 przez Molencki (Rafał Molencki)
The names Surma and Świat do appear in the nearby parish of Ruda, villages Starzenice, Jodłowiec and Kamionka . There are some gaps in the records before 1865 and the only Stanisław Surma I find is the one who was born in 1870 (rec. 60):

metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=3&z...oom=1.5&x=300&y=1232

born at Kamionka Apr 26, 1870 of Walenty Surma, farmer, aged 30 and Marianna Jasnowska, aged 21

And I think I found your great grandma Marianna Świat's birth (rec. 137):

metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=3&z...8.jpg#zoom=1&x=0&y=0

born at Starzenice Nov 17, 1874 of Kazimierz Świat, farmer, aged 46 and Marianna Gębuś, aged 45

2 tygodni 4 dni temu #37082 przez Barrie705 (Lucy Humphries)
Hi Rafal,  The Dates make sense for Marianna Swiat since Stanislawa's baptismal record said Marianna was 30 in 1905.  But Stanislaw's age was 40 on Stanislawa's baptismal record.  Would this be a common practice to just round up or down the ages.  I have been searching for a marriage record in the parish of Ruda with no luck.  I have been searching on the Genetaka  website.

Thanks again for all your help.
Lucy

2 tygodni 4 dni temu - 2 tygodni 4 dni temu #37087 przez Molencki (Rafał Molencki)
Oh, yes. The ages in the records are often very approximate, ten years up or down wasn't uncommon. The crucial thing is now to find Stanisław and Marianna's marriage record. Normally, it would have taken place in the bride's parish but the parish of Ruda does not have it. So we're probably stuck until somebody has indexed their wedding somewhere else or come across it by chance. It may be soon or in a couple of years, one has to be patient in genealogical studies...

PS
I just looked up Geneteka and it looks that the Stanisław Surma from Kamionka, whom I found yesterday, is not yours. He married Marianna Naczyńska and they had a couple of kids. Agewise, when his daughter is born in 1904, he is reported to be 32 years old and when another one is born in 1906, he's only 30...

metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=3&z...#zoom=2&x=1524&y=294

This may mean that your Stanisław was born c1864, but the problem is that the birth records from Ruda between 1857-1864 are unavailable.

PPS
Here's Kazimierz Świat's death record - 9 Feb 1891 at the age of 62. His widow Marianna born Gębuś:
metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=3&z...g#zoom=2&x=174&y=718

And their marriage  - 23 Nov 1851  Kazimierz, 19, son of Adam and Anna Świat + Marianna Gębuś, 23, daughter of late Kazimierz and living Małgorzata (no maiden names of mothers), both from Starzenice:
metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=3&z...g#zoom=1.75&x=85&y=0

2 tygodni 4 dni temu #37094 przez Barrie705 (Lucy Humphries)
Hi Rafal, I appreciate you looking further into the connection between Surma and Swiat.  You have been such a big help. I find both Geneteka and Metryki great sites for searching for names and dates.  

Thanks again,
Lucy 

Czas generowania strony: 0.481 s.