Translate a marriage document from Russian to English

Więcej
5 lata 1 miesiąc temu - 5 lata 1 miesiąc temu #35886 przez Rafał Molencki
Replied by Rafał Molencki on topic Translate a marriage document from Russian to English
Kasia, I'm impressed seeing how much you've been able to find in such a short time. There will always be gaps in the trees, but there will also be new discoveries, sometimes in unexpected moments after months of stalemate. I've been in the business for less than four years and have managed to trace my and my wife's ancestries at least six or seven generations back, in some branches even ten or eleven, in four different regions of Poland and what used to be Poland, but now is West Ukraine.
Vital records are the basis of course, but archives are full of all kinds of legal records (e.g. last wills, purchase contracts, lawsuits), censuses and many other documents, which can tell us a lot about our forefathers and foremothers. Good luck with your attempts and feel free to contact me any time.
Ostatnia5 lata 1 miesiąc temu edycja: Rafał Molencki od.

Please Zaloguj or Zarejestruj się to join the conversation.

Więcej
5 lata 1 miesiąc temu #35921 przez Kathryn Thomas
Replied by Kathryn Thomas on topic Translate a marriage document from Russian to English
Rafal:
Thank you for the lead to the manor house in Brzesc!  I have found several more websites showing pictures of the "Sugar Palace", the home of the directors of the Brzesc Sugar Refinery.  The manor has transitioned into a recent adult care facility.  I also found documents that indicate the master building carpenter and cabinet maker for the beautiful woodworking in the manor was none other than my great-grandfather, Michal!  And to think that I own and have used the same tools that built that "Sugar Palace"!  Your hint and my other discoveries made my mother cry in joy!  She is so very excited about the news.  

Now we go back to Krasiniec and a couple more documents.  The first, the marriage document of Fryderyck Wilhelm and his first wife, Eleanora (the poor soul who was killed in July of 1882 with her sister, Maryanna and sister-in-law, Anna Kolk).  The next documents are those of Michal's parents Maciej and Dorata.  

The Krasne Church books contain the death records also of several of the children of both Adam and Fryderyck Wilhelm.  I have gotten most of the important information from them. 

An interesting fact I picked up along the way...I wondered at the names of Grandpa Michal and his brothers Fryderyck and Adam, having noted the names were not typically Polish and more Germanic in nature.  I found during the times of their birth, Polish priests were replaced with German priests who would not baptize babies with "Polish" sounding names and insisted on German names.  

Again, many, many thanks to you for everything.  My mother said special prayers today at Mass for you and your family.

All my best,
Kasia
Załączniki:

Więcej
5 lata 1 miesiąc temu #35922 przez Kathryn Thomas
Replied by Kathryn Thomas on topic Translate a marriage document from Russian to English
Death records of Maciej and Dorata Kolk.
Załączniki:

Więcej
5 lata 1 miesiąc temu #35923 przez Rafał Molencki
Replied by Rafał Molencki on topic Translate a marriage document from Russian to English
Thanks for the prayers. As for the names, Michał and Adam were very popular names all over Poland at that time. Fryderyk less so, but think of Chopin. In German it would have been Friedrich, but I agree that Wilhelm must have been perceived as German. The translations soon...

Więcej
5 lata 1 miesiąc temu - 5 lata 1 miesiąc temu #35924 przez Rafał Molencki
Some new data here, which will allow you to trace them at least one more generation back:

Parish Krasne 21 Sep 1879 2pm marriage between Fryderyk Wilhelm Kolka [here the version with the final -a], bachelor, son of Maciej and Karolina Schmaltz [this looks and sounds German], aged 25, born in Prussia in the town of Wilbarg [modern spelling Wielbark, German Willenberg, c40 miles north of Krasne right across the border], now living at Szczuki and Eleonora Sękowska, virgin, aged 19, daughter of  Adam Sękowski and Katarzyna Grądzka, born and living at Szczuki

Krasiniec 26 Aug 1893  Adam Kolk, 34 and Wilhelm Kolk, 36, sons of the deceased, both day laborers, report the death at 9pm the night before of their father Maciej, aged 70, a watchman/guardian born in Mchowo in the Przasnysz district/county [c10 miles NW of Krasne], son of Jan and Katarzyna Pajonczkowska [Pajączkowska]

[I hope you know what folwark is]  the folwark of Szczuki 11 Nov 1896, Wilhelm Kolk, 42 and Mateusz Chiliński, 43, both farmers from Szczuki Stare, report the death on 9 Nov 6pm of Dorota, widow of Maciej Kolk, aged 73, living with her children, born in Prussia of "immemorable" parents [so we don't have her maiden name]
Ostatnia5 lata 1 miesiąc temu edycja: Rafał Molencki od.

Więcej
5 lata 1 miesiąc temu #36073 przez Kathryn Thomas
Dear Rafal:
Thanks again for all of your help.  I think I am beginning to put together a clearer picture of my Kolk family in the late 1800-early 1900's.  The building of sugar refineries is a key.  I have attached the birth records of my 2 remaining great-aunts (Maryanna and Irena) and the record of a cousin, Henryk Leon.  Both Michal and brother, Adam, move to Brzesc leaving Wilhelm in Krasiniec with their parents.  There is at least one of Adam's children that I am still looking for a birth record - the family's "black sheep", Wladyslaw.  Wladyslaw was born around 1892, in neither Krasiniec nor Brzesc.  

Your "hint" about the "Brzesc Sugar Palace" was perfect!  I have since been linked on Facebook to several historians from Brzesc.  

Here is another mystery you may help solve - on my Dziadek Michal's naturalization documents here in the US, he lists the place of birth of his wife, Franciszka Kiszel, as Leoniska.  The handwriting does not belong to him so the information was given and transcribed.  I have tried several variants of the Polish phonetically and the closest I can come is Lniska which is in Pomerania, which seems a reach from Krasiniec.  They were not married in the Krasne Church which leads me to believe they were married in her village.  Here again, my ignorance is showing :|   Any ideas?

My mother and my father, too send their greetings to you and both thank you for the information.  I am, again, so very grateful for all you do!

Warmly,
Kasia
Załączniki:

Czas generowania strony: 0,000 s.
Zasilane przez Forum Kunena

Logowanie